This dark chocolate bark with salted caramel is one of my favorites because of the melt-in-your-mouth consistency of the caramel. I would highly recommend Ghirardelli 60% dark chocolate chips, which I used to make the base layer. The salted caramel is a mixture of coconut oil, maple syrup, almond butter, and vanilla. In terms of toppings, I only used almonds which I chopped and toasted, but the possibilities are endless. Here are a few other ideas and feel free to experiment!
- Crushed spelt pretzels + vanilla bean marshmallows
- Toasted pecans + shredded coconut
- Cayenne pepper + sea salt flakes
- Macadamia nuts + white chocolate chips
Recipe for Dark Chocolate Bark with Salted Caramel
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips (I would recommend Ghirardelli or Guittard’s)
- 3 Tbs coconut oil
- 2 Tbs pure maple syrup
- 2 Tbs salted almond butter (Justin’s worked really well for this recipe)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup almonds
- Melt the dark chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in the microwave for 45 seconds. Stir to melt and combine the mixture completely.
- Pour the chocolate onto a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the chocolate out evenly to desired bark thickness.
- Place chocolate base layer in the freezer for about 5 minutes while you make the caramel sauce.
- For the caramel sauce, combine the rest of the coconut oil, vanilla, maple syrup, and almond butter in a microwavable dish. Microwave for 45 seconds- 1 minute and stir to combine. Set aside for 3 minutes.
- Chop raw almonds and place in a microwave safe dish. Microwave for 90 seconds to toast but be careful to not burn them.
- Remove chocolate from the freezer, drizzle on the caramel sauce, and sprinkle on the toasted almonds (or other desired toppings).
- Return bark to the freezer for about 15 minutes or until it is frozen through. Break the bark into pieces and enjoy!