Steel cut cut oats are full of minerals and have more protein than the quick cooking variety. The only downside is that they take longer to cook so I pretty much only have them when I know I’ll have time to relax and take my time with cooking breakfast in the morning. I like to add almond butter and almond milk to make them creamy and a mashed banana to sweeten! You could also make a mixed berry rendition with berries, vanilla, and raw honey.
Recipe for Creamy Almond Butter Steel Cut Oats
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup steel cut oats
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 ripe banana, mashed
- 2 tbs almond butter
1. Boil the water with the pinch of salt and add the oats. Continue to boil, stirring constantly, until the oats have soaked up most of the water.
2. Add the almond milk and repeat until the oats are creamy.
3. Add the banana, cinnamon, and vanilla and stir to combine.
4. Add the almond milk and continue to stir to make creamy oats. Add additional almond milk if desired and top with banana slices or pear. Enjoy!