About two weeks ago, a friend of mine made this salad and I immediately asked for the recipe. I then realized I actually had the cookbook it came from and I found myself wondering why I hadn’t tried it before! The original recipe is from Ina Garten’s Make It Ahead cookbook and can be found here. Because I generally prefer toasted walnuts or almonds on my salads instead of croutons I made a substitute, but my mom made fresh croutons that can be seen below. I also used rotisserie chicken instead of grilled; the warm and moist chicken went amazingly well with the crisp arugula. I’d advise making extra dressing to keep in your fridge, as it is so versatile and would be delicious with any other salad!
Recipe for Arugula Salad with Chicken, Green Onions, Currants, and Toasted Almonds
- 1 whole rotisserie chicken, cut into pieces
- 3 bags of organic arugula
- 1 bunch of green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup currants
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped and lightly toasted
- fresh croutons, if desired
- 1/4 cup Champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- freshly ground salt and pepper
- Make the dressing by whisking together the last 5 ingredients.
- Place the arugula and spring onions in a bowl. Pour dressing over and toss salad.
- Divide salad evenly into 4 bowls and top with chicken, toasted almonds or croutons (or both!), and currants.
- Garnish each with additional pepper and salt, if desired, and enjoy!