My sister Sophia is the best baker I know. She really has it down to a science (not surprising, given she majored in chemistry) and can whip up pretty much anything with minimal instruction. She makes amazing chocolate chip cookies, spelt banana bread, buckwheat pumpkin pancakes, and much more. Part of the reason why her baking is so delicious is because it is wholesome. Rather than using bleached white flour and refined sugar, Sophia uses almond meal or spelt flour with coconut sugar or pure maple syrup and honey. She also loves cocoa nibs, which are much less processed and sugary than traditional chocolate chips. This is my first featured guest post and I look forward to sharing many more of Sophia’s amazing creations!
Recipe for Sophia’s Cranberry Walnut Breakfast Muffins (adapted from Laura Wright’s Antioxidant Power Muffins on The First Mess)
- 1 cup whole spelt flour
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1 cup chia seeds
- 2/3 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp each ground ginger and ground turmeric
- pinch of fine sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- juice of one orange
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh, chopped cranberries (or frozen)
- 1 cup roughly chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
- Preheat the oven to 325º F. Grease or line your muffin tin and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the spelt flour, almond meal, chia seeds, coconut sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ground ginger, ground turmeric, and salt.
- In a separate medium bowl, add together the eggs, applesauce, coconut oil, orange juice, and vanilla extract. Whisk to combine.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients. Stir the batter until it is just combined. Let sit for 5 minutes to thicken. Add the fresh cranberries, walnuts, and cacao nibs and gently fold them into the batter until evenly distributed.
- Fill the muffin cups with the batter until nearly full, about a heaping 1/4 cup batter depending on the size of your muffin tin (muffins wont rise much). Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Enjoy with butter or coconut butter and a generous drizzle of honey. This coconut butter is amazing!
Enjoying one this morning with Siggi’s vanilla yogurt and banana.