Granola is one of my favorite things to make because there are so many variations and it’s healthy if you leave out the refined sugar and oil. This recipe is a great template and I’ll make substitutions/ additions based on what I’m feeling in the moment (read: pumpkin spice granola in the fall, cherry vanilla granola in the spring). I lighten up traditional granola by using kamut puffs or puffed rice instead of oats and sweeten it with just a little bit of maple syrup. The applesauce also makes it crispy but oil-free! Really truly one of my favorite recipes… try it out and see for yourself!
- 2 cups kamut puffs or puffed rice
- 1/3 cup chopped cashews
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 2 tbs ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- 1/3 cup chopped dates
- 1/3 cup chopped dried cherries
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- Preheat the oven to 325º and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the kamut puffs, nuts, and coconut in a big mixing bowl. Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, and sea salt, and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine applesauce, maple syrup, and the extracts.
- Pour the wet mixture over the dry and stir to thoroughly combine.
- Spread granola evenly onto the baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes to prevent burning.
- Remove from oven and stir in dried fruit. Serve with your favorite yogurt, milk, or plain as a delicious snack!