When we feel like a cozy weekend morning, French toast is one of our favorite breakfasts to make. You can make a classic version with brioche bread and maple syrup, or change it up with cinnamon raisin bread, a good sprouted bread, or even leftover banana bread! We made this version with a sprouted oat bread, which gave it a yummy oat-y sweetness. Adding vanilla and cinnamon to the batter makes it extra delicious. Make sure you choose a good butter, ghee, or coconut oil to fry the toast in, it will make a big difference. Then come the toppings: our favorites are thick Greek yogurt, sliced banana, and toasted walnuts. And maple syrup of course! If it’s a chilly Saturday morning where ever you are, get out your pan and try this one. -Sophia
Recipe for Sprouted Grain French Toast with Maple Syrup, Banana, and Toasted Walnuts (serves 2)
- 4 slices good quality sprouted grain bread (such as 7 Sprouted Grain Bread)
- 5 large eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk or almond milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon of butter or coconut oil
- In a large, shallow baking dish, whisk together the eggs, milk of choice, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Warm the coconut oil or butter in a heavy pan on the stove. Keep the heat at medium for the duration of cooking.
- Place two pieces of bread in the batter and prod gently with a fork, allowing it to soak up more liquid. Flip and repeat.
- Transfer the soaking bread onto the pan and cook on each side for 3-4 minutes or until it is golden and cooked through.
- Repeat for the next two slices, placing the first two in a warm oven to keep hot.
- Place two pieces of hot french toast on plates and garnish with toppings (sliced banana, thick yogurt, toasted walnuts, warm maple syrup). Enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea!