Jam is one of my favorite condiments because of how versatile it is. You can put it on sweet potato toast, regular toast, oatmeal, yogurt, coconut ice cream, almond butter sandwiches, etc. The one thing I don’t like about it is how sugary it is. I have found a great fruit juice sweetened one from Trader Joe’s, but even that can be too sweet at times. This berry chia seed one is the perfect happy-medium: it’s sweet but not too sweet (sweetened with only a tablespoon of orange juice), a great consistency, and full of antioxidants and vitamins from the berries. Enjoy it on toast, yogurt, oats… anything!
Recipe for Berry Chia Seed Jam (adapted from Cookie + Kate)
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries
- 2 tbs chia seeds
- 1 tbs freshly squeezed orange juice
- Place the berries in a large bowl and just barely defrost in the microwave (about 90 seconds).
- Add the chia seeds and orange juice to the mixing bowl and crush berries/ combine ingredients with a potato masher or pastry blender.
- Enjoy immediately and store extra jam in a glass container.