It’s so fitting that my 100th post on my site’s Instagram (@caroline.steffens) is this Almond Butter Dark Chocolate Skillet Cookie. It’s celebratory and combines two of my favorite things: almond butter and dark chocolate! It’s so simple and so, so good. I practically ate it for lunch the day I made it, but hey, at least it’s packed with protein and healthy fats… pretty much the only melt-in-your-mouth chocolate “dessert” that can be a meal without giving you a sugar high. Count. Me. In.
Recipe for Almond Butter Dark Chocolate Skillet Cookie
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbs applesauce
- 1/3 cup almond butter (or any nut butter)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbs unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- dash of cinnamon
- chopped dark chocolate
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- Whisk egg in large bowl then pour in maple syrup (if using), applesauce, almond butter, vanilla and almond milk and whisk again.
- Stir in almond flour, baking soda, cinnamon and some of the sea salt. Fold in chocolate chunks, leaving several chocolate chunks aside.
- Very lightly spray an 8-inch cast iron skillet with coconut oil then pour batter into the base and spread out evenly. Place the last several pieces of chocolate over the top, sprinkle sea salt, then place in the oven for 19 minutes on the center rack. Turn the oven on broil and cook 1- 1½ additional minutes, keeping a close eye on it because it can burn quickly!