During the summer, I usually make a frittata every Thursday after shopping at our farmers market in downtown Los Altos. I’ll often get whatever vegetables look good that week, but zucchini and bell peppers are definitely my favorite. Throw in whatever herbs you have handy and season with salt and pepper to bring out the flavors of the beautiful summer veggies. This is a super simple weeknight dinner and tastes best with a fresh green salad and avocado. I always save the leftover for breakfast the next morning or dinner another night. Enjoy!
Recipe for Zucchini and Bell Pepper Frittata
- 5-6 zucchini or summer squash
- 1 red or yellow onion
- 2 red bell peppers
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 10 eggs
- fresh or dried herbs such as parsley, basil, oregano, thyme
- red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
*make sure your cast iron pan is thoroughly seasoned prior to making the frittata*
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Finely dice all of the veggies, onion, and garlic and sauté in coconut oil. Cook thoroughly until soft and season with salt, pepper, herbs, and red pepper flakes.
- Whisk eggs very well with about 1/4 cup water and pour over cooked veggies. Cook on low for about 7 minutes, making sure the bottom doesn’t burn.
- Top with additional herbs and freshly ground pepper.
- Bake in oven for about 15-20 minutes, until cooked through.
- Serve with a fresh green salad and enjoy!