Granola is great as breakfast or a snack however, I do not think packaged, store bought, sugar-packed granolas are good at all. Homemade granola is the way to go! My standard granola recipe is an excellent, easy go-to and it’s amazing! This one takes a spin on it with pecans, dried cherries, and dried apricots. Again, there is no oil or sugar added and it’s fantastic!
Recipe for Apricot Cherry Pecan Granola
- 2 cups kamut puffs or puffed rice
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 2 tbs ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2/3 cup applesauce
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- 1/2 tsp pure coconut extract
- 1/3 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/3 cup chopped dried cherries
- Preheat the oven to 325º and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the kamut puffs, nuts, and coconut in a big mixing bowl. Add the spices and sea salt and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine applesauce, egg whites, and the extracts.
- Pour the wet mixture over the dry and stir to thoroughly combine.
- Spread granola evenly onto the baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes to prevent burning.
- Remove from oven and stir in dried fruit. Serve with your favorite yogurt, milk, or plain as a delicious snack!