At the Solage in Calistoga, complimentary chai tea is offered. And not just any chai tea, but the best chai tea you will ever have and that is not an exaggeration. The tea is so amazing and my mom and I simply cannot get enough of it when we’re at the Solage. During our spa weekend, we sipped it all day long. While I usually don’t have cow’s dairy, this was a treat. If I were making a batch of it for the week, I would probably try it with unsweetened almond milk. But here is the recipe from the Michelin-Star kitchen itself! Enjoy!
Recipe for Solbar Chai Tea
- 1 oz fresh ginger, sliced (unpeeled)
- 2 tbs sugar
- 2 tbs honey
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1 tbs cardamom pods, crushed
- 3 whole cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 16 oz cold water
- 2 tbs assam harmony loose tea
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a large heavy pot with the water.
- Gently bring to a simmer and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in tea, remove from heat and let steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain through chinois and let cool before covering.
- Store cold, then reheat with an equal amount of whole milk to serve.