Banana bread is one of my favorite things to make. You can find my healthy rendition here, but for those times when you just need a good, traditional banana bread or muffin, this should be your go-to recipe. These muffins are unbelievably moist and flavorful without being too sweet or cake-y. They will be the best banana chocolate chip muffins you ever eat and I have proof… When an 11-year old tried them, he told me he couldn’t stop eating them and said they’re the best muffins he has ever had. In other words, make them ASAP and don’t be too shocked if you want to eat them for every meal until they’re gone 🙂
Recipe for Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 2/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup buttermilk (see tip)
- 1 cup + 2 tbs whole wheat flour (or almond, spelt, oat, gluten-free)
- 5 1/2 large, very ripe bananas
- 2 tsp pure vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips + more for sprinkling on top
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Prepare muffin tin with all-natural muffin cups.
- Mash the bananas very well in a large bowl.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the oil, coconut sugar, vanilla, eggs and buttermilk. Add the mashed banana and set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, soda, powder and salt.
- Fold the dry ingredients and the chocolate chips into the banana mixture until just combined.
- Pour into your prepared muffin cups and top with additional chocolate chips.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean and the top of eat muffin is golden brown.
Tip to Make Buttermilk: Pour 1 cup of your favorite milk (almond, hemp, cashew, etc.) into a dish and add 1 tbs of lemon juice. Whisk then set aside. After about 10 minutes, you have buttermilk!
PS: If you want this as a bread, simply bake in a nonstick bread pan for about 40-45 minutes.