This recipe is definitely a keeper. The combination of the roasted rosemary beets, massaged kale (in a simple vinaigrette!), and toasted almonds is so tasty and satisfying. This is also a great dish because it could be served at any time of the year. Think summer BBQs with grilled chicken, or winter soup nights with a hearty squash soup. It’s rather simple and a real crowd pleaser. Fresh rosemary is best, so look for it next time you’re out! Who knows, maybe your neighbors are growing some in their front yard that they wouldn’t mind sharing!
Recipe for Rosemary Beet Kale Salad with Toasted Almonds
- 1 bunch fresh kale, stems removed, washed and finely chopped
- 6 beets, washed (well!) and dried
- 3 tbs fresh rosemary, finely diced
- salt, pepper, & olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbs honey
- Preheat oven to 425ºF and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Chop the beets into 1″ cubes and toss in olive oil, salt, pepper, & rosemary. Arrange on the parchment paper in one single layer.
- Roast the beets for about 50 mins – 1 hr, or until tender and cooked through.
- While the beets are roasting, whisk together the 1/4 cup olive oil, lemon juice, and honey and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the dressing over the kale and massage thoroughly. The kale should shrink to about 1/3 of its original size.
- Once the beets are done roasting, assemble the salad. Toss the beets, red onion, and kale to combine.
- Serve in your favorite dish and garnish with toasted almonds. Enjoy!