Cauliflower rice sushi… yes, it’s one of the best things in the world! When I was little, my dad would take me to a very classic sushi restaurant with the little boats floating around. It was one of my favorite dinners and I’d look forward to our sushi excursion. My parents and I also have frequented sushi spots for birthday dinners in the past because there’s no better way to celebrate than with a hot cup of miso soup and some salmon rolls. This cauliflower rice version is totally customizable so you really can make your childhood favorite roll, but healthier! I like to enjoy these with gluten-free tamari all-natural ginger and a nice cup of miso soup.
Recipe for Cauliflower Rice Sushi
- 4 cups riced cauliflower, steamed and cooled to room temp
- 2 tbs rice vinegar (more or less to taste)
- gluten-free tamari
- salt & pepper to taste
- sushi nori
- veggies (carrots, cucumber, avocado, sprouts, etc.)
- salmon or tofu, optional
- sesame seeds, for garnish
- For the cauliflower rice, combine steamed cauliflower, vinegar, tamari, and salt & pepper to taste. Mash it well so it is like a sushi rice consistency.
- Prep all the veggies: cut into thin strips to make rolling easy.
- Cut the salmon or tofu into thin strips/ chunks.
- Lay out a sheet of nori and cover the lower half with a thin layer of cauliflower rice. Top with an assortment of veggies and gently roll. To seal the roll, dampen one of your fingers with water and run it along the edge of the nori.
- Using a serrated knife, slice each roll into 6 even pieces, or devour as a hand roll. Enjoy!