One of the best parts about living with sisters is cooking together or for each other during the week! At the beginning of each week, my sisters and I will meal plan: who is making what and when. We usually stick to fairly simple things on weekdays, be it roasted chicken, crockpot turkey meatballs and spaghetti squash, or a quick pan-seared salmon veggie bowl. This meal that Isabel made was particularly exceptional and I have gotten a lot of requests for the recipe so here it is! Best enjoyed with good company, sisters or otherwise 🙂
Recipe for Cinnamon Roasted Butternut Squash with Herbed Chicken & Garlicky Sautéed Kale
- 1 whole butternut squash
- 3 chicken thighs (boneless, skinless)
- 1 bunch organic curly kale, washed and chopped
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Chop the butternut squash into rough chunks and take the seeds out. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with cinnamon and a touch of sea salt, and bake for about 45 mins at 400ºF (or until tender).
- Place the chicken in a large baking dish and coat with olive oil. Sprinkle with onion salt, thyme, basil, and oregano. Cover with foil and bake for 25 mins, take out of the oven and flip the chicken and take off the foil and cook for an additional 10 mins.
- Heat up about 2 tbs of olive oil in a large cast iron skillet. Add kale and minced garlic. Stir until it’s sautéed and add about a tablespoon of water if the kale is burning or getting dry.
- Assemble the bowls and enjoy!