Valentine’s Day always makes me nostalgic for shoe-box mailboxes and sweethearts with a personalized touch from a classmate. In grade school, I loved making my paper mache pink box and while my mom didn’t buy my sisters and I the traditional candy Valentine’s, we always made a creative note and sweet for our peers. While I’m don’t plan on making a heart mailbox this year, I certainly plan on making some sweet treats starting with these heart cookies!
If you’re looking for the perfect, minimalist peanut butter chocolate cookie, look no further! These are easily customizable (throw in chocolate chips or chunks instead of the drizzle) and require only 4 ingredients. Also, if you’re not a peanut butter fan, try almond or cashew butter in it’s place! You could also try to make these vegan with a flax egg (1 tbs ground flaxmeal + 3 tbs warm water). Enjoy!
Recipe for Valentine’s Day pb Cookies
- 1 cup peanut butter
- dash of sea salt
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbs chocolate chips
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- Before you make this recipe, rehydrate the dates by soaking them in enough warm water to cover for at least 30 minutes, up to overnight (in the fridge).
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, combine the peanut butter, soaked dates (then drained from the water), salt, and vanilla. Process until smooth.
- Add the egg and process until just combined.
- Using a small cookie scoop, scoop dough onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Even if they look underdone, remove them so they don’t over bake!