This recipe proves once and for all that “gluten-free, refined-sugar free, paleo, vegan, oil-free, whatever-else free” treats can still be seriously DELICIOUS! Whipped this up in a matter of minutes with super basic ingredients I had lying around and let me tell you, this was better than most sugar and flour cinnamon rolls I’ve ever had. I love it because it’s the perfect afternoon treat for when you want something super satisfying but you don’t want to have an extreme sugar high after. The combination of the fiber-packed coconut flour, flaxseed meal with healthy fats, and touch of sweetness put maple syrup is exactly what every treat should be: wholesome, nourishing, “guilt-free”, and most importantly, freaking TASTY!!
Recipe for the Ultimate Healthy Cinnamon Roll Mug Cake
- 1 flax egg (1 tbs ground flaxseed + 2 tbs warm water, let sit for 5 mins)
- 3 tbs coconut flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- dash of sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2-3 tbs almond milk (more if needed)
- 1 tbs maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- dash of almond extract
- In your favorite microwaveable mug, combine the dry ingredients.
- Mix in the wet ingredients, including the flax egg. If your mixture resembles cookie dough, it’s too watery so add a dash of almond milk. You want the consistency to be that of muffin batter: not too watery like cake mix but not dry like cookies.
- Microwave on high for 2 minutes. It will likely be slightly runny like a gooey cinnamon roll. If you’d like it more well-done, stir and microwave for another 1-2 minutes.
- Enjoy hot topped with a spoonful of coconut milk yogurt or greek yogurt and an extra dash of cinnamon.
Note: after going this recipe, I am practically drooling– a sure sign that you need to whip one of these up like NOW!!