I have never tried a What’s Gaby Cooking recipe that I didn’t immediately love. Gaby shares recipes for “the everyday California girl” and each and every one delivers an intense flavor profile with fairly simple and accessible ingredients. This Chicken Larb Bowl with Coconut Rice is the first recipe I tried from her new cookbook, and I made a couple substitutions (tofu for chicken, cauliflower rice instead of jasmine) but the final product was truly incredible. Find my version below or Gaby’s original recipe here!
Recipe for Sautéed Basil Tofu & Coconut Cauli Rice Bowls (serves 3)
- 4 Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced in circles
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tbs rice vinegar
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 16 oz firm tofu, cubed
- 3 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tbs sambal oelek
- 2 tsp salt
- large handful basil
- 1 can coconut milk
- 32 oz cauliflower rice
- zest and juice of one lime
- fresh mint leaves, chopped
- In a mixing bowl, toss the cucumbers, red onion, and vinegar. Set aside, tossing occasionally, while you prepare everything else.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, warm the olive oil. Toss in the onion and cook on medium heat until translucent. Sprinkle on a tsp of sea salt.
- Add the garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Add the soy sauce, stir and cook for two minutes.
- Repeat with the sambal oelek then add the tofu and toss to combine. Sauté for an additional 4-5 minutes, adding more salt or soy sauce to taste.
- Once the tofu is heated though, add a large handful of basil and toss gently. Remove from heat and set aside until serving.
- For the coconut cauliflower rice, heat the coconut milk in a large skillet. Add the cauliflower rice and salt. Cook for 7-10 minutes or until soft.
- Top the cooked cauliflower rice with lime juice and zest and fluff before serving.
- To assemble the bowls, first make a layer of coconut cauli rice. Then, serve the sautéed tofu and finally, the cucumber salad.
- Top with plenty of fresh mint, more fresh basil, coconut aminos, lime juice, and sriracha. Enjoy!