Dark chocolate and coconut just seem to go hand-in-hand and who doesn’t like a sweet treat that’s healthy enough to eat before noon?! (Full disclaimer: you will want to eat these for breakfast and I am in full support of that. Add a scoop of almond butter and you have a well-rounded breakfast option!) They’re really simple to make and are even better than the store bought, sugar-ridden traditional chocolate macaroon because they are real food! Enjoy with a cold glass of almond milk or a hot cup of tea 🙂
Recipe for Dark Chocolate Macaroons
- 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 dark chocolate bar (or 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a blender, blend the ripe banana, shredded coconut, salt, and both extracts on high until completely smooth.
- Using a small cookie scoop, roll small, uniformly sized balls of dough and press them lightly on top so they take the form of a thick cookie.
- Bake cookies for about 20 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- While the cookies are baking, melt your chocolate.
- Drizzle chocolate on cookies and sprinkle on a little extra coconut for good measure. Enjoy!